In recent years, Vitamin C serums have become almost mythological in the natural beauty world. Known for addressing just about every skin issue—from hyperpigmentation to a glowing complexion—you might think it is alchemy. In this article, we are going to walk through everything from what Vitamin C is to how to pick the best product.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is a water-soluble essential nutrient. It is commonly known as ascorbic acid, but technically, there are other forms of Vitamin C—both natural and synthetic. That said, to keep it simple, Vitamin C is an identifier for a group of compounds that have Vitamin C activity in humans and animals. (Look up “vitamers if you want to know more.) An indispensable nutrient for the human body, Vitamin C is involved in everything from brain function and collagen production to immune system strength. Another significant thing about Vitamin C in terms of biochemistry is that it acts as a powerful antioxidant.
How does it work?
So, how does Vitamin C work? That’s a great question. In no small degree, we don’t fully know, but we do know these things:
- Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals, thereby reducing oxidation. This not only helps in protecting the skin but also in the regeneration process.
- Vitamin C is a necessary nutrient in the process of collagen production. As you may know, collagen is essential to skin and hair health. It is what makes it plump and firm. Collagen is a protein fiber. Like elastin, which is also connected to Vitamin C, it gives the skin structure. Many refer to it as the “glue” of our bodies.
- Vitamin C is highly acidic, so when it is applied topically, it promotes the skin to heal itself. This can lead to a decrease in wrinkles, blemishes, scars, etc., leaving the skin youthful and glowing.
- Vitamin C inhibits the production of melanin in the skin. What does this mean in terms of beauty? It brightens your skin and creates a more smooth complexion. Melanin is what creates the dark spots on your skin and hyperpigmentation. This is why you often hear people talk about glowing skin after using a product with Vitamin C.
Is it natural?
Most people are surprised to learn that all vitamins—synthetic and “natural”—are synthesized or isolated in a lab. Synthetics are made from start to finish in a lab while “natural” vitamins are sourced from plants, animals, and minerals, then refined and processed. The most concerning bit is that to earn the “natural” vitamin label, only 10% of the ingredient needs to be plant or fruit-derived. You are probably already putting it together, but this means that 90% of your “natural” supplement or skincare product could be—and sadly, is likely —synthetic.
How do we get 100% natural Vitamin C?
The best way, and possibly the only way, to get 100% natural Vitamin C is in plant form—this is the cleanest, purest, safest, and most natural way to get the benefits of Vitamin C while avoiding synthetics and fillers. Ingesting it would naturally be the optimal method, but as we are discussing topical use, powders and oils are the best.
How do we pick the right product?
Looking for organic ingredients—in their natural form—with high levels of Vitamin C is the best way to go. We use Organic Sweet Virgin Almond Oil, Organic Sweet Orange Peel Oil, and Organic Lemon Peel Oil which, when combined, give you a potent punch of Vitamin C and E (studies have shown that when together, Vitamin C and E, are even more powerful than by themselves). Alma berry, acerola cherry, pepper, coriander leaf, and rose hips are a few others of the highest.
These are some of the things that Vitamin C can do if you start using it:
- reduce wrinkles
- help with acne
- protect collagen and increase production
- aid in wound healing
- help protect against sun damage
- reduce hyperpigmentation
- even out skin tone
- brighten complexion
- protect against pollution and other free radicals
- protect against sun damage
We now live in a world with unlimited options. You will likely tire of reading ingredients lists and mission statements. While we would love for you to try our product, we ultimately want you to find the perfect product for you. If you are an organic, anti-synthetic, nature-does-it-best type of person, we recommend that you give our Nourishing Face Oil and Nourishing Body Oil a try. You won’t regret it.
Could you email me some info. Thanks!