Hyaluronic acid - sometimes referred to as hyaluronan - is the gooey and clear stuff that is produced by your body naturally. It is most often found in your skin, eyes, and tissues. The purpose of hyaluronic acid is to help your body retain water and keep your tissues moisturized.
Hyaluronic acid is used in a variety of things, the most primary of which are supplements, topical serums, injections, and eye drops. There are many benefits to using hyaluronic acid in your daily routine.
7 Benefits Of Hyaluronic Acid
- Makes Your Skin Healthier: Taking a hyaluronic acid supplement can make your skin both smoother and increase its elasticity. Over half of the hyaluronic acid found in your body is found in the skin where it helps to retain any moisture and stay smooth and silky. However, with age and exposure to different elements, the amount of hyaluronic acid in the skin can decrease, so it is important to replenish it. This can be done through supplements or topical creams to provide your skin with the moisture it needs.
- Can Aid In Healing Wounds: Hyaluronic acid can help you to decrease the amount of healing time your body will take. It does so by regulating inflammation levels and helping the body to increase the amount of blood vessels in the wounded area. It can not only help in healing time but can also decrease the pain in a shorter amount of time.
- Relives Joint Pain: Hyaluronic acid helps to keep your joints lubricated and moisturized and can in turn reduce the pain caused by your joints. When they are better lubricated, they are less likely to grind against one another.
- Soothe Acid Reflux Discomfort: This is a relatively new discovery, but recent research shows that hyaluronic acid may help to reduce the amount of discomfort caused by acid reflux. It can soothe the damaged lining of the esophagus and allow the healing process to occur faster.
- Relieve Dry Eyes: With age, your eyes can become more and more dry, and suffering from dry eye is a common occurrence in adults. Since hyaluronic is used to retain moisture, it can retain moisture in your eyes as well. There are eye drops that contain hyaluronic acid that can drastically improve dry eye symptoms.
- Strengthen Your Bones: Newer research shows that hyaluronic acid may also be good for strengthening your bones. In animal studies, it has been shown that these supplements slow the bone loss rate and increase the activity of the cells that build new bone tissue.
- Bladder Pain Preventative: Many women suffer from painful and uncomfortable bladder conditions. Hyaluronic acid has been found to help lift some of the pain that is associated with such conditions as well as decreases the need to frequently urinate. It is not known why hyaluronic acid is helpful for these conditions, but it is thought to be due to it healing the bladder tissue.
Abigail Wise is an aspiring teacher, writer, and editor. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Education with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as working towards her teaching credential. She hopes to receive her Masters of Arts in English as well as go on to be a full-time teacher, writer, and editor.